Straight | Movie Review

Monday, March 30, 2009


Men and women have different sense of humor. I am not comparing the quality but yes they think differently and joke differently. My biggest fear when I went in to watch Straight was that the director, who is a woman, might not be able to do complete justice to the story which is about a man who gets confused about his sexuality. Thankfully, she did not goof up there but that doesn’t mean that the film succeeds in its endeavor. Straight is not that straight a film as it meanders along expected lines before finally bringing home the fact that our man in question – Pinu Patel is not actually gay.

Straight does have an interesting story line. An introvert man whose biggest problem is his virginity and being subjected to ridicule by people develops a bonding with his cook at his restaurant. The problems compound as he gets confused about his sexuality. He goes about proving to himself that he is not a gay afterall. At the end of the story he realizes that he is not gay and then everyone goes home feeling happy for Pinu Patel. So far so good but when it finally comes to execution, Straight does not live upto expectations.

Straight has casual humor and a few of the scenes do make you laugh but individual scenes cannot bind a film to make it entertaining. This is where the director has to take the blame. Parvati had a decent outing with Rules:Pyar Ka Superhit Formula 6 years back but this time around, she fails to create an impact. She has executed a few comic scenes quite splendidly and also extracted good work from the lead protagonists – Vinay Pathak, Gul Panag and Anuj Chaudhari but sadly, the film fails when you look at it as a complete package. There is a satire on arranged marriages but the impact goes missing as the director repeats the same stories that have been told a lot many times. Just like the humor, everything else about the film looked casual too. Some funny scenes kept me glued initially bu tthen my thoughts began to wander as the story progressed.

Vinay Pathak is a seasoned actor and he doesn’t fail you here too. I cannot imagine anyone else playing Pinu Patel with the conviction that he did. Having said that, I think Vinay Pathak is overexposing himself by playing similar characters. Bheja Fry, Dasvidaniya and Straight all have Vinay playing a guy who is made fun of. It is about time he gives such roles a break. I am sure he is capable enough of handling other complex roles with ease too (but the question is – Are they coming?). Gul Panag oozes confidence and is a brainy actress. I feel that she is highly underrated as an actress. She does justice to her role in the film. Anuj Chaudhari is a new face. He too plays his part quite convincingly. The support cast is okay. Since they don’t get much footage, you can’t hold that against them.

There are a couple of good rock numbers in the film. Sagar Desai might be a guy to watch out for. Not related to the story but these songs do bring some life into the jerky paced movie.

There is nothing much to talk about the film or maybe I forgot to notice much as I didn’t find the narrative smooth. I would suggest that if you have not watched Straight till now, give it a miss. Believe me you will definitely end up doing something better in the time you save. I tried to like it but couldn’t do so. Straight gets a thumbs down from my side.

3 comments:

Nikhil said...

am glad that I didnt read your review before watching the movie - "Pinu Patel is not gay" : The movie hinged around that!

Btw, do you have any idea where to find such beautiful women who love imperfection? ;)

Mist said...

"I would suggest that if you have not watched Straight till now, give it a miss. Believe me you will definitely end up doing something better in the time you save. I tried to like it but couldn’t do so. Straight gets a thumbs down from my side."

I think these are pretty strong words. I think they sound highly prejudiced against the movie. the movie isn't half as bad as you are trying to tell it is. I think you should abstain from making remarks like quoted above. Discuss the merits and demerits - don't tell others what they should do "if you have not watched Straight till now, give it a miss. Believe me you will definitely end up doing something better..."
You make me laugh, as I thought it was a matured blog! I am beginning to feel I was wrong!
I am not trying to establish that it was a brilliant movie - I am just trying to say, imperfect isn't necessarily bad - something that doesn't reflect in your review. You may argue that it is your opinion; However, when you are writing a review meant for all of us, you carry a lot of responsibility of being pragmatic and reasonable. I hope you get the point!

Sensible Garbage said...

@Mist: I understand that as a reviewer one's responsibility is to present the merits and demerits. I agree with you upto that point.

The reviewer is entitled to give a product a relative rating and call it trash, marvellous or average based on his/her opinion. Yes, to a large extent I erred by passing my judgment on how you should 'treat' the film rather than playing as per rules by rating it on its merits/demerits. Imperfection at work you see!

Your reaction to my opinion too sounds strong. But unlike you, I can't laugh at it coz it reminds me of my school teacher who liked dictating her list of DOs and DON'Ts even at a minor squeal :-P

Again, I never say that imperfection is bad (I went in to watch the film because I found the concept interesting) but I still feel that the film was in totality.

I take a note of your views and would try to be more well rounded and less condenscending in my future attempts. The intent is never to hurt any of you guys :)

Custom Search

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP